It's supposed to be raining. I should have an excuse, but have you seen the profile of the ride? I got to get into shape. The wind is blowing, it's cloudy, but no rain. Off we go, the goal is 10 miles, a 25% increase from the first ride. I am an engineer, aren't I?
Wow, I did ride 2 days ago. Is that a bruise where I sit? Ouch!
I think I'll head towards Saratoga, get a little bit of climbing in if I can. Lawrence Expressway, heading slightly uphill, but the wind. A steady 17 miles an hour right in my face. Keep it in a low gear. I need to work on spinning. If I turn to big of a gear I hurt my left knee. It's one of the reasons I stopped riding. Low gear, fast spins, only doing about 12 to 15 miles an hour.
The red lights are welcome rest stops. An overpass, there's a way around it. I can exit, cross the street, then get back on the expressway. NO! Have you seen the 4,000 foot climb on the first day of my ride?
Not too bad, put it in a very low gear and over the top I go. Down the other side, but still into the wind. 5 miles down, should I turn around? That would make the trip 10 miles total. I feel pretty good though, the wind is brutal, but I haven't reached Saratoga yet. I at least need to reach Saratoga Avenue.
Saratoga Ave, mile 6.5. I can't just turn around here I have to head towards the hills, at least to West Valley College. It's still slightly uphill, still into the wind, but finally Fruitvale Ave. That's the turn for the college and the 8 mile mark. Good enough.
5 minute rest and head for home. Downhill with the wind at my back. Cruising at 20 mph, pushing it to 26 at times. Hit a peak of 28. Much easier. Strange though, my odometer on my back which said 8 miles at the turn around only say 14.9 miles total. Lost a mile somewhere.
Time to ice the knee and start that blog thing while I rest...
Map of the ride.
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love your blog! We wanted details of how others are training, and now we've got them! Very encouraging! Time to go ride!
Linda from Ride Ataxia II
what part of the knee is hurting? Often an issue with saddle height, sometimes of saddle fore/aft.
Typically you would want to try to raise your saddle by no more than 1/4 inch at a time (more messes up other things). Mark the current level with black tape.
Post a Comment